[RAID MODE] - 12.20 - X-MEN 2 Clone Wars

We host a monthly game-club which we lovingly call RAID MODE. Drop by and play some classic (and not so classic) gems.
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 IRC: hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 OBSRVR SYSTEM: Ps2 obsrvr

[RAID MODE] - 12.20 - X-MEN 2 Clone Wars

Post by hobbes_182 »

INFORMATION

It's X-MAS baby! So we're playing a game that starts off in the snow.

I give you: X-MEN 2: Clone Wars.

From the Wikipedia:
The game begins with a cold open; the first level begins as soon as the game is turned on with a random character (depending on the direction the player pressed on the controller's D-Pad). After completing the first stage, the title screen and credits roll and the player is given the option to switch characters.[1]

Each character has a "mutant power attack" which can be used in combat. Unlike the preceding game, there is no energy bar that limits the amount of mutant power attacks a player can use. Some of the mutant attacks can be charged to a greater effect by holding down the power button. The attacks increase in power when the character has nine or ten bars of health and can perform different functions if the character is in the air.

In addition to these powers, each character has various lesser skills, maneuvers and quirks which make gameplay a different experience with each (see above). These powers can be used to reach hidden health pickups (which take the form of a double helix) or as a shortcut. Players begin the game with eight lives (meaning nine attempts) that are shared by all characters, with no way to gain more.
PLATFORMS

This was released exclusively on the Sega Genesis. I remember this one being more accessible to me than the first game (which was extremely hard).

Plus, we get to play as Magneto 0_0

LINKS

There are no fan-sites for Clone Wars, the best I could fins was this page on the spriters resource. That will give you a feel of what the game looks like.

* The Spriters Resource - X-MEN 2: Clone Wars

TIME TO BEAT
X-MEN 2: Clone Wars game-play stats

X-MEN 2: CLONE WARS - REVIEW
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator

Re: [RAID MODE] - 12.20 - X-MEN 2 Clone Wars

Post by hobbes_182 »

I actually managed to start this one 5 minutes before the post went live.

As this is the last game of the year, looking back it sucks that I missed beating so many on the list. Especially games like Front Mission, Final Fantasy Tactics, and A Link to the past.

I remember making it to the Pyramid level, I think it was right after Magneto joins the team. But I could never for the life of me make it to the top. It's funny how back in the day, I would usually get Wolverine in the first level. Apparently it depends on which direction you move the D-Pad. For anyone not sure about what I'm talking about, the game starts with a cold open (no pun intended). And the intro comes up after beating the first level..

SCREENSHOTS

Beast sucks. Most of the rest of the X-Men play really well, try to avoid using this log if you can. I got him by not pressing the D-Pad in any direction.

I love seeing the SEGA logo, just like the original 1993 X-Men game, this one has a hi-tech feel to it. Especially for being the mid- 90s.

Personally, I prefer ranged characters. I know 99% of X-Men fans have a hard-on for Wolverine, but Cyclops and Gambit are pretty good.

Plus, you can charge your mutant power for a stronger attack. The more health you have, the better it looks.

Ranged attacks go a long way in this level, since the only enemies are turrets and drones.

For anyone struggling with the difficulty beware. If I remember correctly, there are no continues and lives are shared among all characters. If you die you can choose the same character or another if you prefer. But those 9 lives will drop down to 8 across the board.

CONTINUES

There is a 99 lives code, which is something like 10 continues.

Here's the code for anyone interested:
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator

Re: [RAID MODE] - 12.20 - X-MEN 2 Clone Wars

Post by hobbes_182 »

Jumped back into Clone Wars, I forgot that this game actually has "checkpoints" where you can change your character before proceeding to the next area.

For this level, Cyclops and Gambit kick major ass. Especially since the enemies are drones and floating flame-throwing-robots.

All you have to do is run and shoot. Oh, and the 99 lives code does actually work:

Once I made it to the first checkpoint, I switched to Cyclops. The game actually handles pretty good if you "run-around-slowly". What I mean by this is that the screens scroll in a somewhat jerky fashion, which usually ends up with you taking some damage.

So the goal of this level is to destroy the Sentinel core, which will set the facility into self destruct mode.

You have to haul ass Super Metroid style to the Emergency Exit. Which is not too bad, just be mindful of the flames.

I managed to make it there with 15 seconds left. :geek:

The next level is Avalon, which for those not in the know, is Magneto's base. Personally, I'm a fan of Asteroid M myself. But that base was already shown in X-Men 1.

Pretty excited to get though this one, since once you defeat Magneto he will join your squad.

Gonna stick with Gambit for now. I could swear Wolverine wasn't too bad in this level, we'll see...