[RAID MODE] - 01.21 - Streets of Rage Remake

We host a monthly game-club which we lovingly call RAID MODE. Drop by and play some classic (and not so classic) gems.
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 IRC: hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 OBSRVR SYSTEM: Ps2 obsrvr

[RAID MODE] - 01.21 - Streets of Rage Remake

Post by hobbes_182 »

INFORMATION

Happy New Year!

2021 is here, so we're gonna choose a genre we've never chosen before: fan games.

That's right baby, we're playing Streets of Rage Remake.

From the Wikipedia:
Streets of Rage is a series of side-scrolling beat 'em up video games, centering on the efforts of several ex-police vigilantes trying to rid a fictional, large American city from a crime syndicate that has corrupted its local government. The first three games in the franchise were developed and published by Sega for the Sega Genesis in the early 1990s, and have since been ported and re-released on various platforms. A fourth entry, Streets of Rage 4, was released in 2020.

The games were well-received and have been re-released many times both on compilations and as standalone games. The electronic dance music soundtracks of the games, scored by Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima, have also received much acclaim.
PLATFORMS

Since this is a fan game, we're playing this on the PC. The game supports keyboard layout (duh) and it will recognize XBOX controllers with no setup needed (not sure about PlayStation controllers).

LINKS

Normally we do not condone links of copyrighted material, but since this is a free fangame it's all good. You can get Streets of Rage Remake here: (just click on the ZIP link)

TIME TO BEAT
Not sure, lets find out ^_^

STREETS OF RAGE REMAKE - REVIEW

STREETS OF RAGE REMAKE FEATURES
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator

Re: [RAID MODE] - 01.21 - Streets of Rage Remake

Post by hobbes_182 »

Dudes! Holy shit this game is awesome, I booted it up last night and damn, this is the Streets of Rage I was waiting for.

Anyways, here are some things I've found out:
  • You can't save your progress, this is old school baby
  • The only thing that "saves" is the money you "get" from picking up items. These are used to purchase unlockables
  • There are different routes to choose which means high re-playability.
  • Also, many stages have multiple routes available
Here's a video of it for anyone still on the fence:

STREETS OF RAGE REMAKE

Oh and I forgot, the game is portable, which means you don't have to install anything, just click on the SorR icon 8-)
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator

Post by hobbes_182 »

Finally managed to get some time into Streets of Rage Remake. I chose a few different routes.

I actually did pretty good on the Streets of Rage 1 route. One tip I do recommend to anyone playing, even if they are seasoned veterans is: make sure you try playing with every character, since characters and enemies feel a little "different" compared to the original Sega Genesis titles.

For example, Skate was always my number two character after Axel in Streets of Rage 2. But when I used Skate I got my ass kicked, REALLY bad.

Axel is still balanced, but Zan REALLY impressed me. Can't wait to unlock the AI partner.

Hopefully I can manage to beat one route this weekend.

SCREENSHOT
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator

Post by hobbes_182 »

Damn, this game really kicked my ass, even though I played on NORMAL.

I think what I'll do next time is try to beat it on EASY so I can unlock the AI PARTNER, then come back into it and play it at a higher difficulty.

You really need a second player in every beat em' up.

It just makes things much more fun. :mrgreen: