General Retro and Modern Videogame discussion
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 IRC: hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 OBSRVR SYSTEM: Ps2 obsrvr

Batman Arkham Origins

Post by hobbes_182 »

So a few days ago I beat Batman Arkham Knight after not having touched the game in almost 6 months.

Well, it turns out that I was 2 missions away from beating the damn thing, which sucked because I was having a blast when I was originally playing it. But coming back to it after so much time had passed kind of tarnished the ending for me. Especially since it took me about 30 minutes to fully get back into the groove.

It especially sucked because I had beaten every Arkham game before it.

It got me realizing that the one game that I never really gave much love when it came to side quests was Arkham Origins. So I thought it was time to fix that and give this one another go. I especially like this one because Batman's armor actually looks tactical, in the game it is his third year as Batman and the Gotham Police do not believe he exists yet. Hell, he hasn't even met Gordon yet.

Here are a few screens from my first hour, I especially love the Batcave. It was really cool how they made it look completely bare-bones, since Batman is just starting off.

I thought it was especially cool how Batman is just putting the Batmobile together, and how his Batcomputer is just a bunch of towers stacked together.

Love it.
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator

Re: Batman Arkham Origins

Post by hobbes_182 »

I got some more time into Arkham Origins.

So normally I would just try to rush through the missions in order to advance the story. For some reason I always felt that I was on the clock in the Arkham games. This time I am taking my sweeeeeeeeeet time and man does it make the game feel great.

In my previous Arkham adventures I would never really "commit" to the free flow combat. This time I have kicked major ass, not getting hit once, just like Batman would do. There was one time where the last guy managed to punch me in the back of the head, but I let out my Ben Affleck Batman yell and beat the crap out of that last goon.

Plus, I am freaking out all of the enemies doing my predator moves.

I did forget that since this is Batman's first major adventure (in the Arkhamverse), I am basically gathering intel in order to build up the bat-computer. I think I have spent more time sabotaging The Riddler's communications towers and hacking his shit.

SCREENSHOT

hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator

Post by hobbes_182 »

Here is one cool thing I forgot was in Arkham Origins.

So, as Batman is just starting up, he only has a limited number of gadgets. As you progress through the game, you start "acquiring" and deploying new gadgets. Some of the gadgets are suggested by Alfred for use in the field (although they are still pretty much prototypes), the other gadgets Batman repurposes them from either bosses for the GCPD themselves.

Another cool feature is the crime scene mode. There are two that you HAVE to do in order to advance the story, there are 15 in total littered throughout Gotham which helps you become a better detective.

I have also been destroying the Riddler's network towers, once you have reached a certain point in the game, you discover that there are "handlers" which know where the Riddler's files are hidden throughout Gotham. These are basically encrypted drives which have intel (good or bad) on influential people in Gotham. There is also intel on Gotham itself. Once you beat down the handlers they give away the location of these drives on the map. This is a pretty neat feature, I have stumbled upon some myself, they are pretty hard to miss in small areas since the glow neon green. But on the streets and rooftops of Gotham it is pretty easy to miss.

I love building up the bat computer database, man I wish it was night time so I can get some more time in.
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator

Post by hobbes_182 »

I managed to get some more time in Arkham Origins.

I think I am about 70% into the main story, but I have been focusing my attention on Enigma and some side-missions which seem more interesting at the moment.

It looks like there are a few more gadgets to unlock. I think I might solely focus on the side missions for now.

I have never bought DLC for the Arkham series. But I think I will be getting the Mr. Freeze DLC which takes place right after the events in Arkham Origins.

Can't wait 8-)

EDIT 05/06/2021 - All right dudes, since RE Village is hours away from being released I will put this one on the backburner for a bit. I will be coming back to this one, want to try and 100% the game.
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator

Post by hobbes_182 »

So as part of the New Year, I have decided to not leave any of my threads hanging. This means that I am going to start completing these games. No more backlog.

It took me about 40 minutes to get my bearings, as it has been over six months since I played Arkham Origins. 8-)

It turns out that at this point in the game, you realize there is someone who has been investigating the possible connection between Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Shortly after, you hear a distress call from the GCPD due to Firefly threatening to blow up the Gotham Bridge.

There is an awesome boss fight with Firefly. This boss fight is pretty fast and violent. It also shows a major flex from Batman, as you need to pull Firefly down with your batclaw, while he is trying to escape with his jet pack.

Gains.

Once you lay the beatdown on Firefly, you have a one-on-one with Gordon. As his hesitance to trust Batman almost cost the lives of civilians.

This is a bit of spoiler territory, as you realize that the person that was tracking you has managed to find the Batcave. The hardest thing here is seeing my man Alfred barely hanging on.

Not to mention, they trashed all of your tech.

hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator

Post by hobbes_182 »

For the endgame, you return to Blackgate Prison, this is where the game actually started.

I need to stop dropping games and start completing them. I was literally 1 hour away from beating this months ago. :oops:

I was a click away from buying the DLC, however, I promised myself I would do the side missions first.