General Retro and Modern Videogame discussion
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 IRC: hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 OBSRVR SYSTEM: Ps2 obsrvr

Silent Hill

Post by hobbes_182 »

For many horror gaming fans, Resident Evil and Silent Hill are usually the top two main series when it comes to horror.

As a Resident Evil fan, I feel that it is also necessary to recommend Silent Hill. Especially because (personally) I believe that it is just as good (and important) as Resident Evil.

Here are my top Silent Hill recommendations:

SILENT HILL 2 - ENHANCED EDITION (PC)

Many horror fans in the community highly recommend Silent Hill 2. So much so, that a group of dedicated Silent Hill 2 fans have spent the last couple of years optimizing Silent Hill 2 to perform on modern PC gaming setups. This originally started as a widescreen fix. But fans quickly discovered that the game needed much more work. The video above showcases the current status of the project.

SITE
  • You can checkout the site (and get yourself up and running) here.
LETTER FROM SILENT HEAVEN

One of the individuals that is part of the Silent Hill 2 Enhanced team is Ratiocinator. He loves Silent Hill 2 so much that he launched one of the best Silent Hill sites on the net. Although his site is dedicated only to Silent Hill 2, this is amazing.
  • You can check out the site here.
SILENT HILL COMMUNITY

Silent Hill Community (from what I can understand, was also originally created by Ratiocinator) is going through a bit of a transitional period as of this writing. This is a forum that I have been creeping for many years.

The amazing thing about browsing the forum is that these Silent Hill fans are still ripping the games apart and finding unused assets, textures, etc.

Visiting it today is a bit of a bare-bones experience, as they seemed to have lost most of the threads (and forum themes). Hopefully, they can be back up and running in full capacity.
  • Check out Silent Hill Community here.
LEGACY SITES

There are more sites that are worth a follow. But right now most seem to be updating their current look / features.

I'll keep updating this thread once they are back online.

Feel free to let me know if there is any fan site I might have missed.
hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 Creator
GOBLIN6 IRC: hobbes_182
GOBLIN6 OBSRVR SYSTEM: Ps2 obsrvr

Re: Silent Hill

Post by hobbes_182 »

SILENT HILL HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Silent Hill Historical Society is a site that I have recently discovered. It is also filled with A LOT of information regarding the series.

This site also uses Silent Hill Community as a hub for it's readers to discuss the series.

There appears to be some overlap with the Rely on Horror podcast as well. As, from what I understand, the founder of Historical Society is also on that podcast as well as her own.

I am giving the podcast a listen now, I love when I can listen to a site's podcast on their own site. It makes me "take in" the fandom atmosphere.

Gonna blast some Akira Yamaoka after this.

SILENT HILL MEMORIES

Another oldie but goldie. This is one of the first sites that I discovered on the net. It even has support for three different languages. Just like Historical Society, they also use Silent Hill Community as it's main forum.